Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre Programs Expressions of Interest
Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre is seeking Expressions of Interest from Art Professionals to participate in the gallery’s ongoing programs. Expressions of Interest are invited from artists, curators, arts tutors, arts writers, composers, musicians, collaborators and organisations at all career levels.
Expressions of Interest are open to all Arts Professionals resident in Australia. Collaborative proposals are accepted. Arts Professionals with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences are encouraged to apply. Employees of the Muswellbrook Shire Council and their immediate family members are not eligible to apply.
Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre delivers a balanced program, with a focus on providing our audiences with rich and diverse arts experiences. Arts Professionals are sought to add value to Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre’s programs with the aim of:
- Providing opportunities for the creative and professional development of artists
- Providing high-quality, diverse arts experiences for audiences
- Encouraging arts practice and creative engagement between artist, community and place
- Contributing to the long-term cultural development of the community
- Creating awareness and appreciation, and facilitating meaningful connections with art
- Facilitating equity of access
Artist in Residence
The Muswellbrook Artist in Residence program sees 1-2 artists participate in a one-week residency, creating new work within the context of the Upper Hunter Region for exhibition at Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre.
Proposals are invited from solo artists, groups, and touring exhibitions for:
- non-acquisitive, commissioned exhibitions
- loans (existing work)
The scale of exhibitions are classified as follows:
- micro-small – 4-16 running metres (only); 19 weeks duration
- medium – 20-42 running metres / 48 square metres; 19 weeks duration
- large – 37-92 running metres / 172 square metres; 9 weeks duration
Curators are engaged in gallery programs to research and curate exhibitions drawn from the collections held at Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre. Curators are invited to submit a CV in place of a specific proposal, along with written work samples of exhibition materials.
Writers are engaged in gallery programs to research and write essays to accompany gallery initiated, leading exhibitions. Writers are invited to submit a CV in place of a specific proposal, along with written work samples.
Tutors are engaged in gallery programs for the following style art workshops:
- Adult workshop – 3-hour, ‘experience-style’ workshop exploring technique and artform
- Virtual workshop
- Youth Term Program – 10 week program culminating in an exhibition of work at the gallery
Musicians are engaged in gallery programs for live performance at gallery events and compositions to accompany virtual exhibitions. Musicians are invited to submit a CV in place of a specific proposal.
Appointed Arts Professionals will be provided with a fee to participate in our programs.
Expressions of Interest are open year-round with proposals assessed biannually, according to the program selection criteria, by a gallery panel. Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre may make direct approaches to potential Arts Professionals as a part of this process. Please note that Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre are not able to offer feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
If you experience barriers to meeting the requirements of our Expressions of Interest process, please contact the gallery by phone or email to discuss. We are prepared to cater for alternative means of application.
Muswellbrook Shire Council is committed to protecting your personal information. For information in relation to this, please refer to Council’s Privacy Management Plan.
Program Selection Criteria
Muswellbrook Regional Arts Centre assesses applications according to the following criteria:
- Presents considered, conceptually sound ideas
- Represents innovative approaches as well as excellence in a professional contemporary practice
- Engages and challenges audiences
- Provides benefit to the event or program or activity
- Contributes to Council’s strategies and goals, including the current Community Strategic Plan
- Facilitates meaningful connections with the arts
- Delivers outcomes relevant to the needs of audiences
- Achievable outcomes
- Demonstration of good planning, including appropriate timeline and effective use of resources
- Public liability insurance up to $20 million where required to activate on-site
How to Apply
Expressions of Interest are to be made via the online portal: https://www.artgalleria.com/portal/muswellbrookeoi
Expressions of Interest are to outline the following:
- A statement that includes the conceptual premise and/or a description of the proposal
- Images (10 maximum), where applicable
Enquiries regarding the Expressions of Interest should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Exhibition ‘The Invitation’ by 2018 Muswellbrook Artist in Residence ‘White Field’ – Caroline McGregor and Samantha Stephenson. Image: Edwina Richards.